Every day we read and hear factual information, 我们听到故事, 我们看视频, 我们进行了大量的对话. We assimilate much of this information and then repeat it, putting our own spin on it. When we proclaim some absolute fact or statistic or strong belief, 我们经常听到这样的问题, “你从哪儿听来的?或祈使句“证明它”. These are often legitimate responses and they press us to reveal the source or sources of our knowledge. Writing a paper and including outside sources is no different, except that you will be required to document 你的 sources and you will be graded on the accuracy and quality of the work.
In college, plagiarism is one of the most serious accusations a professor can make against a student. 它会导致论文不及格, 对于一个班级来说, 还有那些惯犯, 甚至会导致被学校开除. With seemingly unlimited information available through multiple print and electronic mediums, 这很容易让人感到困惑, 无组织的, 和不知所措. Also, the temptation to copy and paste has never been greater. 但是要注意, that as easy as it is for a student to plagiarize information, it is easier for professors to investigate a suspicious passage in hand since the professors are familiar with 你的 writing style, 有先进的搜索技术知识, 并且可以使用抄袭程序, turnitin.com to identify undocumented passages from outside sources.
To avoid plagiarism you need to know what it is. 抄袭是 非法使用 另一个人的想法, 书面或口语, 图片, 统计数据, 理论, and even paraphrases of another person's speech or writing. Keep in mind that whether it is unintentional or deliberate,任何 非法使用 of another person's work is considered plagiarism.
I like to think that most plagiarism is accidental and that it happens mostly because students are misinformed about how to incorporate and cite outside information. A few reasons someone might accidentally plagiarize are:
- A student may not know how to properly search library catalogues, 数据库, and other reference resources available through the library.
- 学生不知道 当 引用具体信息. Just because we understand an idea doesn't mean it's ours. 我们必须承认.
- A student may not have the ability to paraphrase properly and to cite a paraphrase properly. Many students don't know how to paraphrase and plagiarize 当 they just substitute a word 在这里 and t在这里 instead of rewriting the entire passage in their own words. 另外, many students plagiarize because they assume that a paraphrase does not have to be cited. 它必须被引用.
- Poor note taking during the research process also leads to plagiarism. It is important to note ALL paraphrases and direct quotes as you write them or find them. Once you are working on late or final drafts, you may forget what is 你的 writing or 你的 ideas and what you have borrowed.
- Plagiarism often occurs because students procrastinate and start their research project late. Not only does this possibly tempt one to copy and paste, but rushing anything makes us more susceptible to mistakes.
- One last reason for plagiarism is many students' inability to properly cite sources. The library offers an online resources called NoodleTools which allows a student to enter citation information into the program's online fields and it then formats the citation. Keep in mind that any type of program that does this is only as accurate and thorough as the information entered into it.
如何避免抄袭? 容易. You need to be informed, and 当 you are unsure of something, ask questions or seek help. 以下是一些建议:
- When in doubt about anything to do with the research process, ask 你的 professor first. This is the person who will be reading, evaluating, and grading 你的 work. The biggest mistake I see students make is not checking in with professors 当 they have questions. Many professors have specific requirements particular to their writing assignments, 尤其是涉及到研究的时候.
- Use the services that are available to you, both on campus and online.
- Reference librarians can help with all phases of the research process, 尤其是当你在收集信息的时候. 你的话题越集中, the easier it will be for them to help you find the appropriate material. Keep in mind that you are not "bothering" them 当 you seek help. They went to school to learn how to use and teach these methods and resources and their primary mission is to help students.
- 使用学术支持服务. The Center for Academic Program Support or CAPS offers tutoring for writing in all classes, 特定学科领域的辅导, and tutoring in math and math-related classes. 写作中心的导师, DON 238 (just around the corner from the library) are all experienced with research writing and citation methods. 除了一对一的辅导, the Writing Center has a number of resources including citation manuals, 链接到在线研究资源, 以及研究写作材料.
- All 韦德买球网站 students have access to online tutoring through etutoring.org. 这项服务是免费的. 在线写作辅导是异步的, 这意味着论文已经提交了, 导师会读, 然后再回复. 学生 log in and submit their writing online.
To wrap up, be sure to give credit w在这里 credit is due. 当你接到研究任务时, 记得早点开始, 跟踪你的消息来源, 多问问题, 当你觉得需要的时候寻求帮助. Good luck with 你的 research and good luck with 你的 writing.